Wednesday, January 28, 2015

My Best Friend is Going Into the Navy

Hello Everyone!


Today's post is a little different because I'm going to discuss my best friend and how he is going into the Navy. This year I said I wanted to give my blogger friends and my audience a bit more personal side of myself. By doing this you get to know the girl behind the blog a little better.

The Beginning of Our Friendship 


I've known my best friend since I was 16 years when I transferred to a new high school our Junior year. Gosh Fall 2002 seems so loooong ago lol. I remember we met in Driver's Ed, but we didn't actually have a conversation until we were in study hall for Driver's Ed. You ever just met someone you just clicked with? Well that's how I would describe the interaction with my best friend and I. Sure we have our differences as most people do, but over the years since high school we have grown even closer.

His Navy Story

He told me he was thinking about joining the Navy about two years ago, but he didn't sign up until a few months ago. He was supposed to leave in May of this year, but he had the opportunity to leave a few months earlier (now) so he decided to leave for basic training sooner than expected. As he gets ready to venture in this new chapter in his life, he knows that he has my all my support. I know he's going to do great in basic training and in the Navy in general. 

A Very Close Bond

Wednesday, January 28th which is today is the big day, he's leaving for basic training. It seems so surreal that I just talked to him last night to knowing I won't hear from him verbally for a while. I would be lying if I said I'm not going miss him like crazy because I know I will. Even though he may drive me crazy sometimes (as I do the same for him lol) that's what's makes us so close because we are able to work through our differences and meet on common ground. In life we go through changes with people, but not letting those changes tear you apart is what makes bonds so special. Nowadays good friends or people in general are hard to come by, so I definitely don't take the people I love and care about for granted. Since it was so sudden he decided to leave, we didn't get to spend the day together as planned, but we did get to spend a few hours hanging out talking on Sunday which was just as special. We'll spend the day together whenever he gets back, so I look forward to that :) I'm such a softie lol. Surprisingly didn't cry when I saw him, but I did cry when he left to go home. So when I'm sad or feel lonely while he is away at basic training, I will refer to this post and know that everything will be ok. I know that he's only a letter and envelope away. I also look forward to receiving the first letter from him :)

I sent him this post, before I let you all read this. (He really appreciated it) This is a new experience for him as well as myself, and he knows that I love  and support him in all his endeavors <3. I'm so proud of him. I wish him much success, and happiness as he begins this new chapter with the Navy in his life. 



Do you have a best friend, friends, family or spouses etc. in the Military? If so what are/were your experiences? How did or do you cope? I probably will write a few update posts from time to time. If you all are interested in reading posts like that, let me know in the comments section below.


Also I plan on getting back to blogging regularly soon! So stay tuned!


Thanks for stopping by my blog!

22 comments:

  1. It's so nice to see a post from you Pilar! I tend to worry about my friends on here when they don't post for a while lol! I don't have any close family or friends in the military but I can only imagine how much you will miss him! I do think that it's awesome and special that you guys will be able to send eachother hand written letter though! I sadly feel like that tradition is lost so it makes me happy when I hear about peopld doing that!!
    I'm sure it's an emotional time for both of you from his leaving, so I am sending you virtual hugs and wishing him the best on his journey!!
    I also want to do more personal posts this year too so I'm looking forward to reading more of yours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ashley I appreciate the virtual hugs! When I got up this morning I was like wow he's on his flight to go to basic training and I felt a emotional about it. I miss him already. He was holding up pretty good last night and for the past few days. I'm the one who's been crying lol. I didn't cry in front of him or on the phone though. I stayed strong because I want him to be focused when goes to basic training. Thank you for wishing him well, I know he will appreciate it! Even though I won't be able to hear from verbally as much for the next 8 weeks, I look forward to writing letters and receiving his letters! You're right I think people have gotten away from writing personal letters. I can't wait to get his first letter! I look forward to writing more personal posts and updates about this experience! I know he's going to do great in the Navy! I can't wait to read your personal posts if you decide to include them in your blog! I'm sorry that I made you worry lol, but I'll have some new posts up soon!

      Delete
  2. I bet you are going to miss him best of luck he is serving our country and is an admirable work great pictures of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for wishing him luck! I already miss him lol, but it's admirable what he's doing.

      Delete
  3. I've been looking out for your posts for a while, so glad you have posted this. The bond you guys have seems so special, I only wish I had friends like that. I know it will be hard to not have him around physically, but at least letter will keep you updated, and to be honest, I think letters are WAY more personal than any other means of communication. I don't know anyone in army, but I look forward to your updates :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miriam! The bond he and I have is special :) I agree writing letters is more personal. I should get a letter from him in a few weeks. My best friend is the only person I know who's in the Navy and I think it will be an experience for both of us as get he gets adjusted there, and I get adjusted here without him, and not being able to verbally communicate with him for a while. The letter writing will definitely help with keeping us close and updated with each other. I'll keep you all posted!

      Delete
  4. This must be so hard on the both of you, love that you are sending letters though!! :) Hope he does well!

    http://floralsandsmiles.blogspot.ca/
    twitter.com/floralandsmiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is so hard, but I can't wait to start writing him letters :) thanks for wishing him well!

      Delete
  5. This is a beautiful post. You and you best friend mean a lot to each other. There are going to be times that you're lonely and sad, and he may feel the same way during basic training. Keep faith and you two will make it through. You're right, this is an experience for you just like it's a new experience for your best friend while he is away. Look forward to reading your updates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie! Yes, he and I mean a lot to each other :) This is a new experience for both of us, and I'm definitely keeping faith in God, that's so important in general!

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad to see a post from you and this is such a beautiful one too. I agree that good friends are hard to come by these days and you're so lucky to have such a dear friend. All the best to him and to you too, hope you both find a way to continuously keep in touch. xx

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shireen and thanks for sending him well wishes! We talked about it and since he and I are so close we plan to write each other while he's in basic training since he will have limited phone usage. Our bond is strong, so I'm not too worried about us keeping in touch while he's in basic training. Hopefully the time will fly by lol

      Delete
  7. This was so lovely to read Pilar! Thanks for sharing something/someone so close to you. It sounds like you guys have a great bond and I know it will only get stronger! Lots of hugs coming your way from me and I will keep good thoughts for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all your kind words Margo! I really appreciate it! I wanted to share this because he's an important person to me :) He and I have a pretty close bond and I think that this Navy experience will make our bond even stronger!

      Delete
  8. I loved reading this post and that's a lovely picture of the two of you! I know you must have a lot feelings about your best friend leaving for the Navy right now. It sounds like you two are very close and I agree with the previous comment I think this experience will make your bond stronger! I wish you both all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth for all the well wishes! These are some of my favorite pictures of him and me! I guess I've been dealing with my feelings ok, but I still miss him a lot! He and I are very close! I also agree I think this experience will bring us closer!

      Delete
  9. Aw thanks for sharing this with us, Pilar! I don't have any friends in the Military but ever since migrating to Australia, I miss my friends that I grew up with a lot. I wish your friend all the very best in the navy! :)
    ♥Natalie
    Yours Truly, NY


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalie, and you're welcome! I felt this was an important post to write. I can imagine that you would miss your friends since you moved away. Thanks for wishing him well! I know he would appreciate it!

      Delete
  10. Pilar, this post was so heartfelt! I know it was bittersweet for him to leave. You hate to see one of your best buddies go, but you also want the best for him. The Navy has so many wonderful opportunities. He's going to see some fabulous places and learn so much. He's a treasure. I wish him the best. My uncle was in the air force and then became a pilot. Being in the services really teaches you some wonderful skills. So happy for him. Thanks for sharing this doll.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim! It was very bittersweet for me to see him leave. I want all the best for him and he knows I'm going to be there for him! He definitely is a treasure to me! I love him and I miss him so much! I know he's going to do amazing in boot camp! He wants to be a Meteorologist in the Navy, and you're right the Navy does have great opportunities! That's so cool your uncle was a pilot!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words and you're welcome!

      Delete

Happy Birthday Albie!!

Hello Everyone! Today's post is a special post because today is my best friend's birthday! I remember when I met my best frie...