Thursday, September 24, 2015

Pilar in the Pantry: Homemade Crock Pot Lasagna/ Happy Birthday to my Best Friend!!

Hello Everyone!



For today's Pilar in the Pantry recipe, I present to you my Homemade Crock Pot Lasagna. This is another meal that I make that tends to go quickly so I usually make extra. This lasagna meal is very special because I made this for my best friend's birthday yesterday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! You'll see the pictures from his birthday celebration yesterday near the end of the post. This post is picture heavy!





*If you don't want to make this much, cut the ingredients in half.

Ingredients:

For Meat Sauce:

- 2 lb ground beef
* seasonings of your choice add to the ground beef

- 67 ounce jar of Prego Traditional Spaghetti Sauce


Other Ingredients:

- 24 oz Breakstone 4% Milkfat Small Curd Cottage Cheese

- 8 oz Breakstone 4% Milkfat Small Curd Cottage Cheese

- (2) 8 ounce Shredded Mozzarella Cheese * I just purchased a large bag of cheese to have
     extra

- (2) 8 ounce Shredded Mild Cheese * I just purchased a large bag of cheese to have
     extra

- 1 package of Muellers Lasagna * I purchased 2 just to have to have an extra box around


Other Things You'll need:




- Crock Pot
- Frying pan or large pot

-  Large spoon

- Large dipping spoon (to place spaghetti sauce in crock pot)

- Bowl with lid

- Pam Non Stick Original Cooking Spray



Preparation and Cooking Directions:

Side Note: No need to cook the lasagna noodles. They will cook in the Crock Pot

1. Mix all the shredded mild and over half the shredded mozzarella together in a bowl and set aside.





2. Brown ground beef in a frying pan or large pot, season meat with the seasonings of your choice. Cook on medium high minutes until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce. Cover with lid, let simmer, and remove from heat









3. Spray the bottom and sides of the Crock Pot lightly with Pam Non Stick Original Cooking Spray.




4. Put a thin layer of meat in the bottom of the crockpot then start laying meat




5. Layer uncooked lasagna noodles, I broke some of the lasagna noodles in half so they would fit properly in the crock pot




6. 1st layer cottage cheese or ricotta and the add shredded cheeses mixture







7. Repeat meat, noodles, cottage cheese, and shredded cheeses layer pattern until you almost reach the top. Your top layer should have lasagna noodles




8. Turn the Crock Pot on High for about 4 hours and cover with lid. This is a trial and error type situation. Depending on your crock pot you may have to adjust the time. This was my first time making a Lasagna in my new crock pot I got a few months ago, but If you have a CROCK POT The Original Slow Cooker the directions I provided should work well for you. For your convenience I provided  the time of when I started cooking to the final product etc.

(Start time 5:00 pm)





9. About 3 hours into cooking your lasagna, turn your dial on low. Remember to periodically check your lasagna so you won't undercook it or burn it (Time: 7:00 pm)




10. About 30 minutes before your Lasagna is done cooking sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella cheese on top and cover with lid.  (Time: 8:30 pm)






10. Your lasagna should be done once the cheese starts melted. Take a fork and check to see if your noodles on the are tender. Turn off your crock pot and let cool. Then serve your meal.

(End Time: 9: 00 pm)







Don't forget the Texas Toast!







Happy Birthday to my Best Friend!!


Now to best part of the post! My best friend's birthday! Yesterday was my best friend's birthday (Sept 23rd), so as a surprise I decided to cook him a dinner and make a dessert tray just for him!




The Birthday Boy!!!

He had no idea that I was making the dessert tray filled with brownies, M&M's chocolate chip cookies, and one of his favorite candies Rolos. He was happy for the gift!




Happy Birthday!

 It was wonderful spending time with him! I love this guy so much and !!! <3




A better view of the dessert tray and the card I gave him.




Inside the dessert tray. They're actually two bowls of cookies, and I stacked some of brownies of top of each other. Since his favorite color is blue I decided to used blue M&M's in the cookies.


Here are a few random pics I took while I was preparing to bake



On to the baking!



Prepping the cookies to bake



I went back and added more blue M&M's to the cookies


Brownie batter!



Individually wrapped brownies


Since he got off work later, I didn't post any pictures earlier in the day yesterday like I normally would. That could have ruin the surprised if he saw the pics online before I saw him lol. I'm glad he enjoyed his birthday dinner and birthday treats!



Thanks for stopping by my blog!

16 comments:

  1. What a great meal love that you added cottage cheese I need to try it love the ingredients and the convenience of the crockpot. You are too sweet look at those cookies for your buddy Happy Birthday to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I use cottage cheese when I make Lasagna, but one day I want to try ricotta cheese. I've had ricotta cheese in lasagna, just not my own. I thought adding the blue M &M's would be a nice touch to the cookies!

      Delete
  2. I am definitely making that lasagna. It looks so easy!!! It is so special to see the friendship you both share and I am glad he had a happy birthday! You made it so special for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This recipe is pretty easy to follow. I tried to make his birthday special for him, and I'm glad he liked his dinner and dessert tray!

      Delete
  3. The lasagna looks delicious! Love the pictures! You two look adorable! Glad he had a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad he had a happy birthday too!

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday to your best friend! the lasagna looks so good! I've never had it from a crockpot before but I can amazing how yummy it is!! And the tray of brownies and cookies looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Homemade Lasagna in a crock tastes so yummy! I know he loves sweets, so I decided to go for a chocolate theme for his birthday!

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday to your friend Pilar! That was so nice of you. I didn't know you could cook lasagna in a crockpot! I learned something new and thanks for the recipe.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and you're welcome! I wanted to make his birthday special for him! There are so many recipes that can be cooked in a crock pot! That's why I love using a slow cooker! I think my homemade lasagna recipe has to one of the easiest I've tried so far in my crock pot!

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday to your best friend, Pilar and how amazing it is that you surprised him! I have seen a few recipe for slow cooker lasagne but never tried them myself. I do like your version because you make it look so easy.

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He knew I was cooking dinner, but he didn't know what I was cooking or that I made a dessert tray for him! It was all a surprise! I tried to make this recipe simple so that anyone could try to make this dish!

      Delete
  7. Nice pictures! This is a nice suprise for a birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wanted to make his birthday special!

      Delete
  8. omg this looks so good! I love lasagna but never get to try to cook it by myself, your recipe is more simple than the others, I definitely going to try this! you are such a good friend, I wish I had a friend who'll surprise me with lasagna as well :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! This is a fairly easy recipe to follow!

      Delete

Thankful

Hello Everyone! Since we're only a few days away from Thanksgiving, I thought it would be a good time to write my yearly thank...