Tuesday, August 11, 2015

DIY Glitter Makeup Brush Holders

Hello Everyone!





I'm excited to share today's post with you because I've wanted to make these makeup brush holders for the longest time! Now that I've finished them, I'm going to share this tutorial on how to make glitter makeup brush holders.


You'll Need:



- Empty glass jar(s): I used empty Bath and Body Work Candle Jars and Yankee Candle Jars
- Mod Podge: I used Matte Finish
- Foam brush
- Glitter
- Aluminum Foil: You can also use Wax Paper or Newspaper to catch excess glitter




If you use a Bath and Body Works Candle jar, Here are a few steps to remove the wax:



- Place candle in the freezer overnight. This should break the wax into pieces


- Take a butter knife and remove wax pieces




- If the metal doesn't come out place jar in warm soapy water and let soak. Wash your jar.





- Take a butter knife and remove the metal out of the jar if needed. As you can see in the first picture, the wick and metal came out at once. That's why I suggested letting the jar soak if the metal is being stubborn to come off of the glass.




- To remove label, just peel off it off the jar



- To remove paper label of the bottom of the jar, take a butter knife and remove. This should be fairly
easy since your jar has been soaking in water to loosen the label.  * You can also use rubbing  
alcohol to remove residue inside or outside of the jar.

- Re-rinse with soap and water

- Dry jar completely


DIY Makeup Brush Holders:

- Coat a thin layer of Mod Podge on the inside of the jar, but if prefer you can coat the outside. Try  
to make sure you coat the Mod Podge evenly to prevent the glitter from clumping.





- Place a generous amount of glitter on the inside of and rotate until jar is coated with glitter.




- Empty excess glitter onto the aluminum foil and put glitter back into the glitter container.

- Set jar(s) aside for a few hours until completely dry.

*IMPORTANT! I went back and mixed the mod podge and glitter in a disposable plastic cup and re- Coated the jars after they dried because the glitter was getting on my brushes. Once I re-coated the
Jars and let them dry again, the problem was solved. If you mix glitter into the Mod Podge, you
shouldn't have any issues with glitter getting on your makeup brushes. However, if your prefer you
can just re-coat the jars with just Mod Podge and let dry.

 



Mod Podge and Glitter mixture

- Once your jar(s) are dry you can add rice or beads at the bottom. Optional







Without Flash



With Flash




Without Flash

I decided to use this holder for cotton balls



With Flash


My next goal is to show my makeup collection/vanity in the near future. I haven't forgotten about that post, and I will keep you all posted!



Thanks for stopping by my blog!


16 comments:

Jackie Harrison said...

Great job I saw this on youtube and it looks very easy to make like how you reuse the candle handle recycle is worth it.

Pilar said...

Thank you! I originally thought about getting glass jars from Walmart or the dollar store, but I decided to go with the BABW candle jars instead. This project was fairly easy to complete!

Unknown said...

very nice!! great idea! miss you xoxox

Margo @ PrettyPanda said...

You are seriously SO creative! Love this idea! I have a ton of glitter sitting around so I know what I'm doing! :)

Pilar said...

Thanks Laurie! I miss you too! I didn't know you were back on blogger! I hope all is well!

Pilar said...

Aww thanks Margo! This was a fun and easy project to complete!

willsingformakeup said...

This is such a great idea! I've cleaned out Bath & Body Works candle jars before, but I just left them clear. I love the glitter! I'll have to give this a try! They're so pretty!

Unknown said...

These are so pretty Pilar!!! I have tons of candle jars I need to clean out so I need to make these! You did an awesome job on them, and I'm excited to see your makeup collection and vanity!

Marie said...

These makeup brush holders are gorgeous! You did a great job! I look forward to seeing your makeup collection!

Pilar said...

Thanks! I left my jars clear for the longest time! I wanted to make them pretty so I added glitter!

Pilar said...

Thanks Ashley! I try to keep my empty BABW jars for DIY projects and this project was so much fun! I can't until I get everything situated with my makeup collection/vanity area! I'm thinking about reorganizing my Muji drawers before I show my display!

Pilar said...

Thank you! I would like to post my makeup collection soon! Hopefully I can get that done in the near future!

Naturalle Drea said...

This is so pretty!! I love this!!!

Pilar said...

Thank you!

A Very Sweet Blog said...

That is so cool! I've always liked them, but never knew how to make them! Great job Pilar!
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

Pilar said...

Thank you!

Daylight Saving Time

 Hello Everyone! We may have lost an hour of sleep, but honestly I'm glad that the sun will be setting later. I need sunlight. Today was...