Monday, October 9, 2017

Pilar in the Pantry: Chicken Pot Pie

Hello Everyone!


Chicken pot pie is one of my favorite foods to eat during the Fall and Winter.  Whether I'm fighting a cold, or the weather is cold outside, chicken pot pie is one dish that I don't grow tired of adding to my menu. The only thing is that I usually get chicken pot pie from KFC or Marie Callender's out of the frozen food section in the grocery store. I said to myself why am I always buying a dish that I can probably make?!

That brings us to my latest post, Chicken Pot Pie. This isn't fully my recipe. I used the Pillsbury Online Recipe, but I made various changes. I'll link the recipe if you want to follow Pillsbury recipe HERE



Chicken Pot Pie Filling

- 1/3 cup butter

- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour

- 1/2 teaspoon salt

- 1/4 teaspoon pepper

- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)

- 1/2 cup milk

-  Cooked boneless skinless chicken cut into cubes. I used 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts that I seasoned and cooked the night before.

- Sweet Peas

- Diced Potaotes slightly softened. I used 5 small peeled yellow potatoes 

- 2  Frozen Deep Dish Pie Crusts


Directions 

1. Heat oven to 425°F. Take frozen deep dish pie crusts out of the freezer.  I find it easier to use the pie crusts of their still frozen once I spoon mixture...see step 3


* If you use refrigerated pie crust, Make pie crusts as directed on box for Two-Crust Pie using 9-inch glass pie pan.



2. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Then stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened.





3. Stir in chicken, potatoes, and peas into thickened mixture. Remove from heat. Spoon chicken mixture into crust-lined pan. Carefully remove one the pie crusts from the pan to use as a covering. Cut slits in several places in top crust.




4 Bake 30 to 40 minutes and cover crust edge with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. During last 15 to 20 minutes of baking remove strips of foil.



 5. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.


Fresh out of the oven




Enjoy :)


The pot pie that I made came out pretty good. I saw so many different recipes for pot pie, but Pillsbury is the one I chose to use, with various changes as I mentioned earlier. I used cooked boneless skinless chicken breast to give the pie a more homemade touch.


Don't forget to stop by and view My Homemade Apple Pie

October 2017 Posts 

My Life in September 2017

Pilar in the Pantry: Homemade Apple Pie


September 2017 Posts

My Life in August 2017

Patiently Waiting for Fall

Derma E Essentials Radiance Toner and Illuminating Rosehip & Cranberry Face Oil

Being Prepared

Palmer's Goodies

Welcome to the New Beauty and More by Pilar

Happy Birthday Albie!!

Projects with Pilar: Crochet Hats



Thanks for stopping by my blog!

24 comments:

Marie said...

This chicken pot pie looks so good! I would like to make this!

Beauty Unearthly said...

Thank you for recipe :-)

Pilar said...

Thanks! It was pretty good!

Pilar said...

You're welcome!

Susie said...

Pilar, Yummy...pot pie is one of hubby's favorite winter dishes. I will be trying this. I have made pot-pie with biscuit topping before for sisters luncheon. It was pretty good. Blessings, xoxo, Susie
p.s. you know your pies will always be healthier than store bought. :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! Nice recipe!

nerline said...

I cannot believe you made this from scratch and it looks so good. I am pretty sure it is yummy too. More power to you!

Unknown said...

Yum! This is definitely a great comfort food for the fall and winter time!

Pilar said...

Thanks Susie! I hope you enjoy your pot pie when you make it! I would like to try the biscuit topping pot pie. I hear it's really good! That's why I like making homemade dishes rather than store bought because it's usually healthier! Next time I think I'm going to add more veggies! Blessings to you as well!

Pilar said...

Thanks!

Pilar said...

Thanks Nerline! Lol I was a little intimated at first, but the pot pie was pretty simple to make, and it was delicious! I'll be making more pot pies in the future!

Pilar said...

Thanks Ashley! So true!

Jackie Harrison said...

You made it look easy and delicious.

Red Rose Alley said...

You made chicken pot pie! Yes, Marie Callender's is a good one that I get sometime, but homemade is wonderful. This looks so good, Pilar. That's great that you made your own. I love pot pies during the autumn and winter months. : ) You're getting to be quite a good cook, ya know?

~Sheri

Pilar said...

Thanks Jackie!

E. Jones said...

That looks good and it looks pretty simple to make...I will have to try this when it gets a little cooler here in Texas

Pam said...

Wow...that looks great! Bet it taste just as great.

Pilar said...

Thanks Sheri! Marie Callender's is the only store bought chicken pot pie I'll eat lol! So true, homemade is wonderful! I've been cooking for years, but I love cooking and baking during the Fall!

Pilar said...

Thanks! This dish was easy to make!

Pilar said...

Thanks Pam! The pot pie was good!

Kristen Alpert said...

Okay first was the apple pie now the chicken pot pie. They both looks good. I love pot pie. Marie calendars is a good one. Again I like the filling more than the crust. Can't wait to see what you make next.

Pilar said...

Thanks Kristen! I was in a baking mood when I made these dishes. The pot pie came out great! I actually made another pot pie the other day. The filling in chicken pot pie is so good!

Naturalle Drea said...

I have to try this recipe, I always buy them but would love to make it myself.

Pilar said...

I usually bought chicken pot pie too before I made it at home. I really like this recipe!

Daylight Saving Time

 Hello Everyone! We may have lost an hour of sleep, but honestly I'm glad that the sun will be setting later. I need sunlight. Today was...