Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Tips for Hosting Thanksgiving

Hello Everyone!


Thanksgiving Meal 2017

Since Thanksgiving is right around the corner, my next few posts will be focused on Thanksgiving. Today I wanted to share a few tips on hosting a hopefully stress free Thanksgiving. This post has tips for hosting holiday guest and gatherings in general.

Set a menu and write down your grocery list



Example Thanksgiving Grocery List


I may only be 32 years old, but yes I'm still one of those people that will still handwrite my grocery list. I always have and I proably always will. I can't express the importance of composing your grocery list. Thanksgiving planning can get hectic so plan your list and take it with you while you shop. There's nothing worse than either getting to the store and forgetting your list or trying to remember items and forgetting what you need.

Recruit help if you need it



After years of doing prep work and helping my mama cook, I can pretty much handle Thanksgiving by myself. If you're not good or advanced with cooking or you get frustrated cooking, ask for help. You really don't need to be overwhelmed, especially during the holidays.

Early Cooking




When I was growing up and even now some of the Thanksgiving food was prepared and cooked a day or two prior to Thanksgiving. For example we always cook the Turkey Breast the Morning of Thanksgiving and the Ham the night before. Foods like macaroni and cheese, and desserts can be prepared early...just not too early as I stated before.

Clean and (decorate optional) your home 



I'm a neat freak, so I like things clean, neat, and tidy, but you should clean your home especially when you're expecting guest. If you're not one of these people that like seasonal decor decorating can be optional for you. Also if you're entertaining out of town overnight guest, make sure you have clean linen, towels, etc. Make your guests feel welcome.

Set your table/have dinnerware 


If you're eating at a table, set your table, and if you're more non traditional make sure your guest have the required dinnerware. In my house we usually eat off dinner plates and use glassware for the holidays, except last year. Last year's Thankgsgiving was very laid back. You don't have to go the traditional route if you're using foam plates and plastic ware etc.

Set a dinner time and try to stick with it



Let's be honest here nobody wants to come to Thanksgiving dinner and the dinner starts hours later. Setting a time for dinner sets boundaries.

Enjoy your Holiday


A feast, giving thanks, and spending time with family and friends can be so special! Wishing everyone a chaotic free and wonderful Thanksgiving!


November 2018 Posts

My Life in October in 2018

Come Along with Me! Christmas Previews 2018

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Facial Cleanser and Foaming Scrub

Aromatherapy Love: Rose and Vanilla Collection

Zoya Jubilee Holiday 2018 Collection


24 comments:

Net - "It's a Wonderful Movie" said...

Great tips! I can't believe how fast Thanksgiving is coming! By the way, I still write down my grocery list too!

Have a Joyous Holiday Season! Blessings! Net

Pilar said...

Thanks Net! I know! We're almost halfway through November! I will put a list on my phone, but I'd rather write it down! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season! Blessings to you as well!

Ann said...

Great tips!
I can't wait for Thanksgiving.

Ann
https://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com/

Susie said...

Proud of you young lady. :) PIlar, I knew you picked up some cooking skills form your mother. I sometimes make out a list and get to the store to remember it's still on the table. LOL. But by writing it all down that helps me remember what I need. I like chopping and dicing things in advance if I can. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

Marie said...

All these hosting tips are great! I can't believe Thanksgiving is next week!

Doctor Anne said...

Thanksgiving isn´t a thing here in Germany, we have Erntedankfest, but that isn´t as big of a deal.

Anne|Linda, Libra, Loca

Anonymous said...

Great tips!

Rowena @ rolala loves said...

These are such helpful Pilar! Thanksgiving isn't really a thing in our house since we're Asian and that's actually something I'm thankful for ;p

Adriana Leandro said...

Great tips Pilar.
We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Brazil.
Kisses!

galerafashion.com

Pam said...

I can't wait till dinner on Thanksgiving. I love dressing and cream taters with my dressing. Crap...now I am hungry.

Beauty Unearthly said...

Interesting post dear! thanks for sharing, xx

Pilar said...

Thanks Ann!

Pilar said...

Aww thanks Susie! I can truly thank my mom for my cooking and baking skills! I've learned a lot from her! I always write out a grocery list in general. I usually chop and dice the vegetablesa day or two before Thanksgiving and store them in Rubbermaid or Ziploc containers in the fridge. Blessings to you as well!

Pilar said...

Thanks Marie!

Pilar said...

It's interesting to know how other countries celebrate or not celebrate holidays and traditions. For example, I've always found it interesting Canada celebrates Thanksgiving in October.

Pilar said...

Thanks!

Pilar said...

Thanks Rowena!

Pilar said...

Thanks Adriana!

Pilar said...

Lol Pam! I love my mom's homemade dressing! It's one of my favorites foods to eat on Thanksgiving!

Pilar said...

Thanks, and you're welcome!

Jackie Harrison said...

This looks so delicious now I’m so in the mood for turkey dinner great tips.

Red Rose Alley said...

Pilar, it's nice that you know how to prepare Thanksgiving dinner already, and your dear mom has taught you well. I really like the white plates with the brownish leaf and the 'talk turkey' cup. And do I see brownies for dessert? My favorite dessert. Wishing you a happy and carefree Thanksgiving, Pilar.

~Sheri

Pilar said...

Thanks Jackie!

Pilar said...

Thanks Sheri! My mom has taught me so many recipes and share great tips for preparing for Thanksgiving. Those are brownies from last year's Thankgsgiving! They were so good and filled with chocolate chips! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Daylight Saving Time

 Hello Everyone! We may have lost an hour of sleep, but honestly I'm glad that the sun will be setting later. I need sunlight. Today was...