Monday, June 22, 2015

Maybelline The Smokes and The Brights Palettes Review Ft. Makeup Looks

Hello Everyone!

 

Now that I finally got my hands on Maybelline's The Smokes and The Brights Palettes (thanks to my friend Ashley), I can write a review about them. I was pretty excited when I saw Maybelline came out with these palettes.

Since I really like Maybelline eyeshadow in general, I wanted to add these palettes to my collection. Before I start my review I recommend that if you have these palettes, to use NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk or NYX Eyeshadow Base in White for your eyeshadow primer.

 


1. Maybelline The Smokes


 
 
 
 

 

These shadows are swatched on top of NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk 



Pros
- Budget friendly  (about $10.00)
- Beautiful shades
- Very pigmented
- Blends very well
- Easy to apply
- Travel friendly
- Minimal fallout

Cons
- No Mirror
- Sponge application brush isn't all that good
- Can be difficult to find in stores


The Smokes Makeup Look




 

 Products Used


 * Eyes *

- NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk (see above)
- Maybelline The Smokes Palette
 
1. On tear duct and half of  the lid
2. On other half of the lid and Outer V
- Covergirl Bombshell Volume By LashBlast Mascara

* Face *

- Cetaphil DermaControl Oil Moisturizer (for preparation)
- Fashion Fair Fast Finish. Foundation Stick (Topaz) I only used foundation, no face powder

* Lips *

- Nivea Lip Balm 
- NYX Lip Pencil Dolly Pink
- MAC Saint Germain (Amplified Crème)

My Thoughts

I love this palette! As you can see from my cons list, I had nothing negative to say about the shadows in the palette. Maybelline did an amazing job with this palette. The colors in The Smokes Palette are very easy to apply and the colors blend well. I also noticed that throughout the day the colors didn't fade or crease which is also a major plus! Out of the new palettes I have from Maybelline, this one is my favorite so far!



2. Maybelline The Brights



 
 


 
 
These eyeshadows are swatched with NYX 
Eyeshadow Base in White 

Pros
- Budget friendly (about $10.00)
- Beautiful bright shades in matte and shimmer
- Blends decently
- No creasing
- Travel friendly
- Minimal fallout


Cons
- No Mirror
- Sponge application brush isn't all that good
- Some colors are difficult to apply
- Some colors lack pigmentation
- Color tends to fade quicker
- Can be difficult to find in stores


The Brights Makeup Look


 



 

 

Products Used

 
* Eyes *

- NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk (see above)
- Maybelline The Smokes Palette
 
 
1. On tear duct and half of  the lid
2. On other half of the lid and Outer V
- Covergirl Bombshell Volume By LashBlast Mascara
* Face *
- Cetaphil DermaControl Oil Moisturizer (for preparation)
- Fashion Fair Fast Finish. Foundation Stick (Topaz) I only used foundation, no face powder
* Lips *
- MAC Yield to Love (Creamsheen) LE
 

My Thoughts

First I want to start with the pigmentation. The colors are gorgeous, but to get the colors to really pop you must use a good white eyeshadow primer. Some of the colors are a little stubborn, but I'm not one to give up on something without a fight lol. For example, with the green I used in the tear duct for my FOTD that color was really stubborn even with using my NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk. I really had to pack on the color to make it show. I noticed about after 3 hours my eyemakeup was starting to fade slightly. I think this is one of those palettes that you have to work and have patience with it. Maybelline did a so so job with this palette. I think some of the colors could have more pigmentation to help with lasting longer. I think that this palette is worth giving a try!


14 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that you like these palettes Pilar! And the looks you did with them are gorgeous!! I felt the same way about the pigmentation in the brights one. If you can get yours hands on any of the maybelline color tattoos, the bright ones pair really well with the shades in the palette!

Marie said...

Great reviews! I haven't seen The Brights palette in stores, but I have seen the Smokes in Walgreens. Beautiful looks you created with the palettes!

FelyM said...

amazing make up..thanks for sharing dear..i like this palette

Jackie Harrison said...

Nice palette you look lovely great doll.

A Very Sweet Blog said...

Ashley is too sweet! That was awesome she sent you these palettes Pilar! You created beautiful looks for both. When I heard that Maybelline was coming out with a Brights palette I got super excited, but then when I saw everyone's reviews my smile turned into a frown. LOL Thanks for your honest opinion.
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

willsingformakeup said...

I love the pop of blue on the lid for the brights look. I really like many of the shades in the Smokes palette. It's so tempting!

Beth said...

Gorgeous looks with both palettes and I love your hair!

Pilar said...

Thanks Ashley! I will have try some of the Maybelline Color tattoos! I didn't think about that and thanks for the suggestion!

Pilar said...

Thanks Marie! Speaking from experience I can say these palettes can be difficult to find!

Pilar said...

Thank you and you're welcome!

Pilar said...

Thanks Jackie!

Pilar said...

Thanks Kim and you're welcome! Yes, that was so nice of Ashley to send these palettes! I saw a lot of negative reviews too, but I wasn't going to give up on the Brights Palette. It just takes a little bit of patience and a good eye primer!

Pilar said...

Thanks Lauren! I really like both palettes, but the Smokes is my favorite!

Pilar said...

Thank you Beth!

Daylight Saving Time

 Hello Everyone! We may have lost an hour of sleep, but honestly I'm glad that the sun will be setting later. I need sunlight. Today was...